Monday, March 9, 2009

Welcome to the World! My Baby Blog

Original My Space post date: November 30, 2007

So it's 11:30 at night on a week night and I'm not in bed yet because I am patiently waiting up until 1 am, which is Keira's next scheduled feeding. Fun times! For anyone reading this blog who doesn't know, our little bundle of joy was born this past Sunday, November 25 at 11:14 am. She arrived after 8 hours of labor, which began on Saturday night as a HUGE surprise, since I wasn't due until December 5. I had been feeling fine in the days leading up to her birth, although I didn't go to work on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving due to a mysterious headache that wouldn't go away. But I had Thanksgiving dinner with my family and even did a little "Black Friday" shopping with my mom, which had to be cut short because of my extreme discomfort in walking for long periods of time. But there was surely no mistaking the contractions that in turn forced me to tell John, "We need to go to the hospital NOW, my contractions are 2-3 minutes apart." Except I insisted on jumping in the shower first which John really disapproved of, but of course I did it anyways.How annoying was the nurse at the front desk of the emergency room at Mercy Hospital, asking me what seemed like 10 million insurance questions (didn't we pre-register for a reason?!)? I certainly wasn't in the best of moods as I gritted my teeth and filled out all her dumb forms, signing most of them Lauren Campbell because I temporarily forgot that my last name had changed. Anyways, things moved pretty quickly from there, and I can't say it was extremely painful, just mostly uncomfortable and WOW an epidural is really the way to go. You're a FREAKING IDIOT if you don't get one. Like my one nurse said, no one ever won an award for the most pain tolerance in childbirth. Take the meds!John was seriously amazing; he was by my side the ENTIRE TIME until the very end. He saw everything, which is probably more than he would have liked to see! But childbirth truly is a miracle and I feel blessed that we had the opportunity to go through it together. Keira is a little angel and it melts my heart when I think about how much she depends on us to care for her every moment of the day. For now I am playing the role of full time mom and will go back to work in early February. I can tell it's going to be full of challenges (last night I got about 3 hours of sleep total) but I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing than caring for our baby.Thanks to everyone for their good wishes and comments. I hope everyone will get the chance to meet her soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment