Monday, March 9, 2009

America the RUDE!

Original My Space post date: October 6, 2007

Well, yes, I'm pretty pregnant. Eight months to be exact, and really feeling quite uncomfortable. Have you ever been to a pumpkin patch in 80 degree weather, with hundreds of running, yelling, misbehaving children around you, all while being 20 pounds heavier and 8 months pregnant? That was my day today, and I really don't ever recommend it. All of that aside, here is my rant.I never really believed the thought that Americans are the rudest people on the planet. Any time I have ever been to another country, I felt I went out of my way to be courteous and polite to any native foreigner I had encountered. I obviously have never experienced being a foreigner in America, but I can assure you I would never be discourteous to anyone visting here from out of the country. That said, I am changing my belief. AMERICANS ARE RUDE!I work in downtown Pittsburgh, and usually love it. I park at Station Square and ride a small shuttle bus into town everyday to and from my building. When it's nice, and I'm not wearing 3 inch heels, I will walk. But being in my current condition where my ankles swell at the drop of a hat, I am not wearing heels much anymore or walking a mile into downtown. The shuttle has very few seats and packs in twice as many people, therefore making most of the people stand. Okay, so here's where the story really begins.As I hobble from my car to the waiting shuttle, I see that there is standing room only. A few people glance annoyingly my way as I pull myself onto the shuttle. And that's about it. They look my way, then continue reading their book, or playing on their MP3/phone/PDA/fax machine or whatever it is. One of the guys who looks up is in his late 20's or early 30's, way too much cologne, pricey suit and tie, and an unnecessary amount of hair gel in his $75 haircut. I'm sure his balance is better than mine on a moving shuttle, but he remains seated. Hmmm, ok. Another person who looks up at me is clearly an Art Institute student. She's 20 years old or so, trying so hard to be different that she ends up just looking like every other student at AI. She's too busy trying to look bored to think about getting up for me. Ok. Maybe someone else? Next is the gaggle of women who I wouldn't call old, but I would say are older than 40. They are the kind of women who tell stories to each other, but loudly enough so that everyone on the shuttle knows that they are a divorced cougar living in a small apartment with their teenage daughter who won't talk to them or clean their room. They will look my way momentarily, but pretend to be too into their story to care that I have the balance of a lopsided watermelon. So I stand there, grasping for dear life to the metal bar that really doesn't help my balance at all. Purse on my shoulder, car keys and coffee mug in hand while trying not to fall into the shuttle driver's lap. Then he asks me to move back because I am blocking the right side window and he can't see out.I'm not whining. I stand there everytime and never say a word to anyone about wanting to sit down. And I don't want to sit because I am lazy. I am very dispropotionate right now and my balance is terrible, especially one handed and carrying a hot mug of coffee. I am just AMAZED at people's lack of courtesy or concern. Where has the chivalry gone?For now I will continue to ride the shuttle. I try to get there early enough so I am the one sitting and the sleazy business men and chatty cougars are the ones standing. I just ask that if you find yourself in a similar situation, that you relinquish your seat to the pregnant woman. No matter how bad your day was, hers was probably 10 times worse. And standing, moving, swaying with the shuttle or bus isn't making it any better. Even if she isn't pregnant, but it's an older woman or even gentleman, just let them sit down. It's sad that it has taken my pregnancy to see the lack of concern that most Americans have toward their fellow (wo)man. Let's work together to squash the idea that Americans are rude and impolite assholes.

No comments:

Post a Comment