Monday, March 9, 2009

Thanks for ruining a classic, Kid Rock

Original My Space post date: May 29, 2008

Just admit it. Every time you hear "Sweet Home Alabama" start to play (you know - that catchy guitar rift that starts out the song) you turn to your best friend or even that random standing next to you and shout "I love this song!" If we were at a fraternity party, all the sorostitutes would shout "WOOOO!" and the shirtless guys in cowboy hats would high five each other, beers sloshing out of their red plastic cups. (Ok, so in my head this is what happens. I have been to 2 fraternity houses in my entire life, and never saw one shirtless guy wearing a cowboy hat...but I digress...)Regardless of where you are when you hear it, the song just makes you smile. When Lynyrd tells you to "Turn it up!", you do. And seriously, who doesn't know the words? Everyone knows the chorus. I'll admit I'm a little jealous that the song isn't titled "Sweet Home Pennsylvania" (it works!) or that I'm not from Alabama. This song is as American as apple pie and Monica Lewinsky.Which is why it made my skin crawl to hear this new Kid Rock song, "All Summer Long". All I can think of is his greasy stringy hair, smoking a cigar, sitting on the hood of some beat up 80's car, wearing a wife beater. I hate his version, which is a composite of "Warewolves of London" and "Sweet Home Alabama". He pretty much managed to desecrate two unbelievably awesome songs at the same time. Kudos, Kid Rock. Classy, just like your taste in women. And Sirius, can you please not play this song 3 times an hour on all of your stations while I am at work? Yet another reason why XM is clearly the winner when it comes to music. Unfortunately, I think we'll have to hear this song allll summer looong...ha...

No comments:

Post a Comment