Monday, March 9, 2009

Ring Ring: Are you really that important?

Original My Space post date: November 24, 2008

So this Friday will be the busiest shopping day of the year. Black Friday, as those who have served in the retail industry know it. Can I ask a small favor of any one reading this blog? Please? The favor is - STAY OFF YOUR CELLPHONE WHILE CHECKING OUT IN LINE!!
This plea stems from an experience I had the other night at - of all places - Super K-Mart. I realize that my first mistake was going to Super K-Mart. But it was a last resort, as I had already scoured every toy aisle of Toys R Us, Target, and Wal-Mart within a 30 mile radius. I was looking for a Fisher Price Little Mommy Newborn Baby Doll to go with the Fisher Price Little Mommy Stroller that I bought for Keira for her first birthday. This doll fits perfectly in the stroller and is only $10 (I probably spent more than that on gas driving around looking for this thing but I digress...). Target and Wal-Mart had none. Toys R Us had four - but they were all African American or boys. (I'm sorry, judge if you want, but I was looking for a Caucasian, girl baby doll.) So, triumphant with my find, I went to the front of the store to check out. Disaster.
Now, I don't go to Super K-Mart often. Mostly because it's out of the way, but also because their customer service there isn't quite a pleasant experience. As usual, there were 30 people trying to check out and only 3 cashiers. You do the math. The line I picked put me behind a colorful cast of characters, but my favorite was the large, boisterous woman on her cell phone. As the tired, overworked cashier scanned her items, the Cell Phone Lady (CPL for short) proceeded to talk loudly enough for all of us to hear her business. Yelling to someone on the other end, she handed the cashier a stack of coupons. I sighed and picked up a magazine. This was going to be a long one.
The cashier scanned each coupon as slowly as she could. Beeeep! Blooop! Beeeep! Blooop! My head was ringing. Suddenly, "Uh, excuse me, ma'am? Hello, ma'am?" the cashier said, trying to get CPL's attention. No response. "Ma'am? This coupon is no good." CPL: "Hold on a second, I'm checking out at K-Mart, no, no, hold on...what?!" At this point, the lady in front of me turned around and said "I only came in here to get some eggs." I laughed. Again the cashier: "This coupon is $5 off of a $50 purchase and you're $0.25 short." CPL (back on her cell phone): "Ok, ok wait I don't understand, it says $5 off when you spend $50, and I spent $50!" I wanted to scream! You stupid TWIT! Put down the freaking cell phone and pay attention to what's going on!! CPL goes, "Well, just forget it then." I thought, oh, forget the coupon. NO - SHE MEANT, FORGET MY PURCHASE AT ALL - AND WALKED OUT! All while still on her cell phone.
Please - I beg you! - do not answer or continue a conversation while on a cell phone in line. Are you really that self-important that you need to be having that conversation at that very moment?? It's rude to the cashier, and rude to those waiting in line behind you. I mean, how long does it really take to check out? 2-3 minutes, tops? Your phone call can't wait that long? Your house better be burning to the ground or someone on the other end better be clinging to the last minutes of life! Those are the only acceptable reasons to be on the phone at that very moment. Just think of how much faster and how much more enjoyable this holiday season would be if everyone just waited to take that call.
Here's wishing you and yours a Happy Black Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment